Just Got My YouTube Royalty Check In the Mail…

It’s really hard not to laugh at these YouTube royalty checks being sent out by the Harry Fox Agency. Last month, a publisher shared a check for $0.00; this time, a separate publisher got this in the mail (and couldn’t resist sharing it).

In fairness, the reason for these paltry payments seems to be a negotiated advance with Google.  That said, the publisher sharing this check with Digital Music News knew little about that arrangement.

Will somebody please plant a tree?

Written while listening to Neon Indian.

1. Me
    Me

How many views did their video get? What’s the average duration? There is no info to go along with it. As far as we know, this could have been for a video with only a handful of views over a long period of time. And how do we even know this check is specifically for YouTube? There’s no statement to go along with it.

2. digitalmusicnoobs
    digitalmusicnoobs

this person had to have joined the youtube licensing agreement. there’s a website – search “youtube agreement”
    how this person forgot they did that is probably the bigger issue…

Jeff Robinson

Not the case at all. Digital distributors are placing music on Youtube with regularity. This could be all about the song being placed without the artist knowing it because of something that was signed at the time of distribution. The Orchard has a good discription of how this happens. Contact them for feedback.

Buck

These HFA payments have nothing to do with artist royalties – they are publishing royalties. In order to receive money from HFA for these uses, publishers had to opt in to the settlement advance. Publishers who didn’t opt in to this agreement are able to bypass HFA and license directly with YouTube.
        It took quite a bit of effort to opt into the HFA-YouTube agreement. I agree with digitalmusicnoobs… “how this person forgot they did that is probably the bigger issue…”

GGG

For what it’s worth, two of my good friends are fairly popular Youtube sketch comedians and they have told me their royalties are essentially a thousand bucks per million views. Just some anecdotal data.

4. HansH
    HansH

My latest statement shows 314 YouTube streams bringing 37 (Euro)cents . So in average €.001174 per stream.

5. Visitor
    Visitor

Interesting figures HansH. For clarity, could you comment on whether this was a PRO royalty (ie. BMI, ASCAP etc) or a HFA royalty?

HansH

Here in The Neteherlands we have a different system. These payments are for the owner of the recording. The songwriters part is not included.

6. @dandanmusicman
    @dandanmusicman

So these are royalty cheques for the publishing, after HFA have taken their split or fee I guess.
    Usually when you get statements from a label for royalties, if its below a certain threshold they don’t issue payment just roll it over to the next accounting period or until it hits the threshold.
    As in this case HFA have paid out 460% 46cents more than the cheque on the stamp to send the statement at 1cent.
    twitter @dandanmusicman

7. bigboy99
    bigboy99

I’ve got a drawer full of those checks from HFA. There’s a bar in LA that will give you a drink for each one; much better than cashing them.
    bb99

Visitor

I’ve been using monsterviews.com for awhile on my videos and it’s nice. I’ve made alot money from adsense with this! It’s definetly profitable.

Visitor

“I’ve made alot money”
        YouTube see this as fraud and they’ll ban you if they find out.
        Why don’t you make great content instead of cheeting YouTube and your fans (if any)?

GGG

There’s a “legit” (I use that lightly) method monsterviews probably uses, which is it actually IS real views….sort of.
          Find a company like swagbucks where people earn points for watching a video, pay them a little for each person they get to watch said video, up to the point of whatever profit you want. You get money, people are theoretically actually watching the vids…though it’s still not desired views necessarily, views get counted.
          Not sure if youtube has the ability to monitor that, since it’s not instant views. Might take 3 weeks or something.
          Of course, I could also be wrong and monsterviews could be a total scam. I’ve never used it and don’t plan on it.

Jeff Robinson

I suspect Monsterviews merely gets in on rotating your video in front of more people than the usual algorithm- or perhaps the algorithm is for sale to ‘promote’ things- like Facebook charges for. If that is the case, then Monsterviews is only a middleman because people don’t know they can do it themselves.

I don’t suspect this to be ‘bot’ related views, but for $15, why don’t one of you find out if you get 5000 views. IF the streams pay $.007 cents per view, that 5000 views should pay you $35.

Visitor

I don’t know Monsterviews and they may be different (though I doubt it), but here’s how it generally works:
            1) Scammer hires 1,000 extremely underpaid people in the Far East to click on your pathetic videos.
            2) YouTube wonders why 100k or 1m users from Cambodia, Thailand or India suddenly show so much interest in your pathetic videos over a short period of time while the rest of the world thinks it’s trash.
            3) YouTube deletes your fake clicks.
            4) You get banned for life.