The 20 Most Influential Music Blogs…

astronaut

We often discuss which bands are getting the most online buzz, like in the 50 most blogged artists list. But who is talking about these bands and creating the buzz?

Enter this list of the most influential music blogs.  In fact, Style of Sound created a list of the top 100.  They included web-only sites, so none of these blogs that are associated with print magazines, newspapers, or radio stations. I’ve included the top 20 here so you can see who the major players are.

Their list was created using a scoring system based on post frequency, quality, SEO, social media, and Klout score.  It isn’t perfect… they excluded XLR8R because they thought it was still a print magazine, but they’ve been web-only since 2011.  They also list Tiny Mix Tapes ahead of Resident Advisor, which I’m not so sure about.

All of that aside, this will give you general knowledge of the most important music blogs. If you care, I’ve put stars next to the ones that I read regularly.

1. Pitchfork*

16. 2 Dope Boyz

17. FACT*

18. Hypetrak

19. Indie Shuffle

20. The Wild Honey Pie

1. TuneHunter

Nina, did you provide this list with hope to get rid of me?

Than, you are not a blog.

2. hippydog

wow.. i only have heard of two of those..
    looking at some of them, I now know why..
    they kinda look the same.. Word press copies of each other..

• yaaaassss

Fake Shore #11 is Chicago/Mid West Rap Centric… since The hottest unsigned rapper (Chance) and arguably the hottest rapper period (Kanye) are from the chi.. It seems to be at the forefront of it all.

• Nina Ulloa

That’s being said, most of these are pretty specialized and have carved out their own niche. Yeah, they’re almost all wordpress blogs… But hey, even DMN has a similar layout to most of these.

There is crossover, but most have quality content

3. Truth

No Deli Mag or My Social List – but Dingus? I question your “grading” system . . . .

• Nina Ulloa

Pretty sure Deli Mag is print / radio associated. Which, as explicitly stated, wasn’t included.

&. Dingus is actually a really good blog, you should read it.

4. Michael

Personally I just go with musmooth.com, enough good selection, good tastes. I just don’t like to be overhelmed with too much shit.

5. Jason

What about Exposed Vocals? They’ve been generating buzz for unsigned artists and bands for a while now. I can’t imagine why this platform wouldn’t make this list? Good stuff though! Thanks for sharing

6. Marc

Why isnt the DreadMusicReview on this list??? that Makes me question this….

7. Mbah. Marshal

Might. Be. The. Best. African. Rapper. Check. Out. Youtube/mbah. Msrshal. You. gonna. See. What. The. Police. Want. From. The. Niggas. And. Other. Music. Videos. By. Mbah. Marshal. Watch. And. Share

8. Dan Smith

Big industry news coming soon – this project with Ginny Vee is going to be majorly exciting.

9. maya

Great article!
    Would you happen to know which of these blogs are based in Cali?

• Nina Ulloa

not sure, but Yours Truly is based in Cali and they should be on this list

10. Alex

lift me up by Lord reptar listen to it on spotify itunes or wherever you want!

11. JJ

You guys are definitely missing two AMAZING music blogs
    1) Plaincut (www.plaincut.com)
    2) DJbooth (www.djbooth.net)

12. Lewis Lister

Hi Nina, great list, I’d really appreciate it if you checked out prvnce.com – maybe we’ll make next year’s list!

13. Monsieur TMS

Can you put me on that list that you didn’t write next time round? xD

xoxoxox

14. John Noi

Just a heads up that the list has been updated for the summer. Check it out on the Style of Sound website.

15. Anna Ballantine

My last comment didn’t stick so just commenting on what #jen said, Happy music or happy music festival as I think they are known is in my top 3 go to music blogs for sure.

16. FBSoundCloudPG

Are you an artist? Soundcloud now allows musicians and artists to earn royalties per download! Utilize the power of Facebook and get yourselves a Facebook Soundcloud Page! ow.ly/Aj7V6

17. VENUS AMOR

Venus Amor, Miami FL

Young female artist(unsigned), singer/songwriter born in Cali raised in Miami, FL. Her music is soft and sweet, most people like to compare her to Aaliyah. She says her sound is more of a “kick back in the clouds” type. People also describe her as the “Female version of the weekend”. I’ll let you guys be the judge of that.

soundcloud.com/venusamormusic

18. Robert

Hey, how can I get on that soundCloud thing and this music is great, It is nice to hear new sounds!

19. www.drunkenwerewolf.com

It’s hilarious how recycled these lists are from year-to-year, plus a few ‘cool’ new blogs thrown in for good measure.

20. Dr. Midnight

Music blogs are like fishing reports: by the time you’ve read them, the fish have already moved on.

21. R.P.

and if you ask any of these blogs listed here they will all say Et Musique Pour Tous is their influential blog.

22. JohnD

PLAINCUT
    is probably the best urban music blog out there right now. That may just be because they are new on the scene but so far, I dont think any other site compares….

I love making playlists. I love music. I have collected what I think the best of music is for making you feel good. About everything. I am sharing part of my collection with you, World. As a bonus, I am throwing in a little pre-party list as well. Cheers and Happy Listening.

24. httpflexwatches.com...

Amazing list you have !!—– TYGA – 40 MILL MUSIC VIDEO PRODUCED BY KANYE WEST.! Please PLEASE GUYS TAKE A MOMENT TO CHECK HIM OUT. YOU WON’T BE LET DOWN….Drop in here –http://flexwatches.com/blogs/flex-blog/15838736-tyga-40-mill-music-video-produced-by-kanye-west

25. Jesse kolb

Hi everyone I’m jl a artist out of Germany. I’m working on waking up the hip hop world back up.this is my new video (I’m back)from my mixtape 6 steps to fame.the only way I will make this work is with your support and help.so will you please share this link to all your WhatsApp friends and then ask them to pass it on as well to ther WhatsApp friends.will you tag everyone on your Facebook friends list and ask them to tag all ther friends.i am JL and this is my chain letter . Thank you enjoy my video

26. James

Very good selection of influental music blogs!
    “Your EDM” is one of the best regarding the EDM scene in my opinion.
    Pitchfork is also definitely my favorite. I love their site layout!
    I heard that http://www.weglobalmusic.com/ is also a really good music blog for artist promotion

27. Claudio

Best list of music blog! I think that “youredm” is one of most important site because there are a lot of interesting articles about my preferite genre of songs: Electronic Dance Music!

28. david senabulya

Well done with the list. I have already seen Africa’s Greatest Pop singer Vasco DADA’s video on one of the mentioned. The blog is driving huge traffic to his World hit single ‘One People One People”,

29. ellena derosa

well i enjoy your website with music and songs. well i come to invite you to also join us with our hollywood songs in hollywood where you can now buy our latest songbook entitled: magic hollywood book 1 by mario moogan
    at us$19.99. you can make your new cds with these new hollywood songs. we can work with you and offer you 25percent gross sales onto your own production. do this now and call us 818 759 0399 anytime.
    you can also buy our cd with21 new songs at us$29.99each. contact us now

30. Richard

OMG! check this new up and coming site for unsigned artists.

Superstartunes.com

31. hamid

Hello. I saw your site, your site is very good. Please link on my website. Thanks

32. Camarro

a href=”http://industryallaccess.com/portal/2015/05/07/iaa-spotlight-get-to-know-moses-jones-denvers-hottest-star/”>entertainment
    I’ve witnessed along with seen Moses conduct. Such an remarkable gentleman! I like your audio plus the electricity inside functionality! The idea takes in anyone throughout!! Consequently quite accomplished! Great job Moses, consequently satisfied with anyone plus your opportunities! Carry on the many remarkable tunes along with companies you’ve combined with your current listing. Our god bless anyone!

33. Lester

Hey, I’m not bout leaving sob stories in a comment box. But I’m from Kingston, Jamaica and I make music. Its been terribly hard getting my music out into the world seeing alot of people here don’t really like the music unless its Dancehall or Reggae as its believed to be eroding our culture. I produced, mix, master and record all my own tracks from my closet. So yeah, all I’m asking for is ONE listen and ONE share. It’d make my day. If you’re unable to then I understand. Thanks for taking the time out and reading this comment. Much love and one love.

Stream LESTER Music below.

34. James

Check out my blog as well? We primarily promote the french house movement (Daft Punk, Justice, etc.), but occasionally talk about other genres, like synthwave, techno, and indie dance, too!

Let me know what you think 😉

35. Dave

Thanks everyone for your plethora of interesting music concepts and ideas. Ive been at this music thing for awhile now and have plenty experience in reading and writing music, singing and playing acoustic. I also produce as of right now. Just trying to put myself out there! I promise you won’t regret checking it out and feel free to contact me!! https://soundcloud.com/djmccrae/not-alone-dave-mccrae

36. laura

please take the time to review #HeartsOnFireMixtape by @Cimorelliband on noisetrade.com/cimorelli/hearts-on-fire

ttp://www.filefactory.com/file/3n82qbtewmv5/The Assyrian Set.SET (1).zip korg pa3x new get slow download and share link to ur friends use this model of key board

38. David Apple

You forgot House of Tracks music ezine. It’s been going since 2006.

39. Beat Starz Management

If your consistent with these blogs, and have a descent product, an artist can really benefit from being active within them. We use many of them to help boost our artist fan base. http://www.beatstarzmgmt.com

40. BFKSBFBSKB

I wouldn’t bother checking this out…… It will change your life !!!!

dalermehndi.com

41. Lazy Reporting

Nina (aka “The Laziest Reporter”),

This is word-for-word, the exact same article that DMN posted on March 26, 2014. Literally word-for-word…you should be embarrased

42. K Junior

If you got a YouTube account, take a second out to hit SUBSCRIBE and the THUMB UP on my new cover!

Connect with me through the links in the description!

It gives my channel a better rating overall. Your support is appreciated!

• Dave2wist

Real hackers can help you get access buddy, try texting this guy freekid kelvin, he’s a genius 989-875-0693

43. Juliet

This was very helpful- Do you have any advice on how to get into contact with some of these bigger blogs to showcase some Indie Artists ?

44. Joy Conaway

Hello Digital Music News,

I hope this letter finds you well. My name is Joy Conaway, and I’m an indie artist in Atlanta. For the past 6 months, I’ve been touring as a background singer for Raury. I am currently promoting my new single, “Monsters” and would love to be featured on your website. I’ve been a fan of the site for a long time and think your readership would love the song. I’ve included links to my website and SoundCloud page where you’ll find the song. Thanks so much for your time and consideration!

Joy Conaway

45. sanober

46. Musicvibes

Hi! I’m here to tell you… We launched and we need you!

We are a start-up gathering the best playlists around and leaving it up to you to decide if it’s worthy

Check us out at: http://www.musicvibes.us/

47. jim marven

I need help finding a song. Female singer, euro accent, ethereal sounding voice amid an electro ballad. Lyrics I caught were : ” if you open up your eyes, you will see, you will breathe, you will see, you and me” I heard the song in an Ann Taylor loft store and can t forget that tune! I have googled the lyrics, but nothing.
    Get Me The Ball

48. Silver roy

BIO
    Silver Roy’s musical adventure started at the age of 16 when he received his first guitar as a gift from his parents. Learning to play it in a short time, he composed his first song, ‘Open My Eyes’.
    In 2005 he moved to Vitoria, where he continued developing his skills as a composer. Two years later, having a handful of new songs, he applied to a talent contest sponsored by radio show ‘Top 40 of Alava’, winning the second-place award.
    Over time, the positive comments received by the people listening to his songs encouraged Silver Roy to record and self-produce his first album, 2008’s ‘The Lament’, and later going on to set up a band in order to start playing his songs live.
    ‘The Walk Crimes’ stayed together just a few months, enough time to win the Provincial Council of Alava’s 2008 talent competition and to show a bright future as a band.
    Although this collaboration was prematurely cut short, Silver Roy continued composing and in 2010 finished the recording of his second album ‘The Flight’, which contained 11 new songs as well as re-edited ones from his first album.
    In 2011 he moved to London, where he was temporarily away from what until then had been his life form; music.
    After four long years, Silver Roy returns, setting the basis for a new project, which turns into reality today.
    This is the new Silver Roy

NEW EP
    “It’s All About Me Now”
    Musical Album
    Release date: September 1, 2015
    Artist: Silver Roy

Silver Roy is a Singer/Songwriter from Madrid (Spain) but based in London (UK).
    #AcousticRock, #Indiepop, #FolkRock, #RomanticRock.

“Tearing Me Apart” is the first single released from the new EP, and it comes along with an amazing music video and a magnificent story to tell. Watch it here!

Silver Roy – Tearing Me Apart
    youtu.be
    Tearing Me Apart song written by Silver Roy produced & arranged by Doctor Sonora Now Available for purchase on digital stores. Spotify: https://play.spotify….
    New Acoustic Video: “You Never Said”. Watch it here!

More about Silver Roy:

Listen the new E.P “It’s All About Me Now”

It’s all about me now
    soundcloud.com
    EP ‘It’s All About Me Now” by Silver Roy. http://www.silver-roy.com

PREVIOUS WORKS

Closer, by Silver Roy
    silverroy.bandcamp.com
    8 track album

49. OMG

Hello,

I have been reading all the comments for a while now. However, today I wanted to ask the room a question.
    What is the best platform to showcase a new artist and get new music these days?

TK

50. Ibiza Making Music

Good job in this post list!

From the list you can add an electronic music blog for djs & producers

ibizamakingmusic.blogspot.com

51. Music Lessons

The penultimate level in learning carnatic music lesson is pre advanced level. Carnatic music lessons will cover the method of singing kalpana swaras theorically and practically, carnatic music lessons help to learn most tricky
    OnlineCarnaticMusic.com – 1 on 1 Online Carnatic Music class with Live Guru – Learn Carnatic Music Lessons

52. Adam

Check out this new track titled If I Was Yours by Producer/Performer Sharif D in collab with emerging artist Black Cherry delivering a Soulful Tropical House number released via RM Records.

53. Catterwall

Serviceable list! Definitely missed a few already mentioned but I dig dancing astronaut and especially wild honey pie for whoever cares about my opinion. The main thing for me is supporting artists and especially the ones who are just poking their heads up. So many great tools out there for artists-here is one I especially like to help put recordings all together: https://youtu.be/AtpBef-2444

54. mantashakhan

its really amazing website to listen music online. thanks for great blog.

55. Artist Development

Great list artist have have to remember when you submit to these blogs you have to make your cover art is hi quality and professional or your submissioin will b skipped.If you need music industry quality graphics for an affordable price you should check out Mixtape Cover King

56. Keiko

Lots of cool music and many not known artists all over the net if you look and search. I keep finding good music everywhere, that is not pushed down peoples throats like so much od the horrible EDM or Big Room crap. Good for us in Japan, but also for people in spanish speaking countries.It’s great!

57. F.P.

Cool list! I’m familiar with a few (Pitchfork, Stereogum, couple others) but hadn’t heard of most of ’em.

Just took a look at Consequence of Sound, seems like a great site, thanks for the heads-up. Just set up a blog with an article on some weird & cool guitars if anyone wants to check it out: http://guitarspotting.com/25-weird-awesome-cool-guitars/

Cheers!

Definitely check out essentiallypop.com – their whole thing is about music that deserves to be heard. Like, they write positive stuff about everyone.

59. Soaking music

I wish that I could take an idea, research it like you and put it on paper in the same fashion that I have just read. Your ideas are fantastic.

60. Eleazar

I’m New to music blog and your post has saved me from the hassle of endless search. I like your blog, it’s quite interactive. I do love to visit more often

• African Music Now

Top hip hop south african mzansi artist music archives albums. Here you can also get music albums of african continent singer. Get crazy african DJ songs and south africa pop music and also get Folk, traditional and classical songs. you can also post your mzansi albums here.for more information vsit us @ https://www.africanmusicnow.com/