Rap Genius co-founder Mahbod Moghadam has been let go over annotations he made on Elliot Rodgers’ manifesto. Elliot Rodgers recently killed six people and himself because he felt rejected by women. In a blog post, Rap Genius co-founder and CEO Tom Lehman said Mahbod’s annotations were gleefully insensitive and misogynistic. Tom Lehman also said: “I cannot let him compromise the Rap Genius mission“.
Damian Christian has been promoted, expanding his role at Atlantic to two positions. Damian is now Director of Promotions at Atlantic Records UK and SVP of Promotional Strategy at Warner Music UK.
Sony Music UK‘s VP of Industry Relations, Emma Pike, is leaving her position. Pike told MusicWeek: “I have decided to dive into the world of creative and entrepreneurial opportunities inside and outside music. I have rather too many ideas ranging from the relatively sensible to the plain silly“.
A2IM (American Association of Independent Music ) has announced new board members and officers:
Newly elected Board of Directors:
- Craig Balsam (President, Razor & Tie)
- Dave Hansen (General Manager, Epitaph/Anti-)
- Louis Posen (Owner, Hopeless Records)
- Scott Robinson (CEO/Co-Founder, Dualtone Music Group)
- Thomas Silverman (Owner/CEO, Tommy Boy)
Newly appointed members of the President’s Advisory Committee:
- Josh Berman (US Label Manager, Warp Records)
- Denny Stilwell (President, Mack Avenue Records)
- Garry West (Co-Founder, Compass Records Group)
Alan Galbraith (General Manager, Wind-Up Records) is now a member of the WIN Council and is the A2IM WIN representative.
The A2IM Board elected the following 2014-2015 board officers:
- President – Portia Sabin (Owner/President, Kill Rock Stars)
- Treasurer – Glen Barros (President, Concord Music Group)
- Secretary – Jim Selby (SVP, Digital, Ole)
When Nina Ulloa isn’t writing for DMN she’s usually reviewing music or at a show. Follow her on Twitter.
Photo from Flickr by floodllama used with the Creative Commons License.