Urban Outfitters Is the Number One Vinyl Retailer In the World…

urbanoutfitters1

“Music is very, very important to the urban customer.  In fact, we are the world’s number one vinyl seller.”

Urban Outfitters Chief Administrative Office Calvin Hollinger during the company’s latest investor call.  Vinyl sales are up 38% in 2014.

Image by Casey Hugelfink, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0).

1. DNog

I’m not sure if this is supposed to be a positive or negative article…can’t be just informative on DMN.

2. Down With DMN

First we have DMN telling everyone that vinyl is booming making stores start selling it. They even got someone to start INVEST in a pressing plant. So now they’re surprised Urban Outfitters got the memo?

It’s because they understand their audience and cater to it in a lifestyle manner that fits accordingly.

4. IllTalBeats

I think a more appropriate title would be “Largest Retailer of NEW Vinyl”. There are still several stores selling used vinyl who obviously are not reporting those numbers. Also, a large chunk of the vinyl market is ran by individuals via places like Ebay or Discogs.

5. The Resnikoff Echo Chamber

You don’t know this to be true. You’ve done no research, but you’ve picked up on a press release, along with all the other blogs.

At least Forbes hedges in their headline: Urban Outfitters Claims It’s Now The No. 1 Seller Of Vinyl In The World

See the difference?

And this: “The company didn’t disclose sales numbers, but it would be an impressive feat if the often-offensive clothing retailer is indeed outselling Amazon when it comes to LPs.”

It would, but it’s not verified.

It took a commenter to remind you of this: “To be fair, there isn’t a lot of competition, as not many chains carry vinyl.”

Correlation and causation.

Seriously, can you post a mission statement for DMN so I know what the goal of this site is? If it’s journalism, I will have the validation needed to unsubscribe. If you’re shooting for a Perez Hilton thing, then at least I know what I’m getting.

And no, I don’t work for Forbes. I just thought your headline was specious and unsupported by documentation, so I Googled it. Took about four seconds to see every dumbass blog run with an assertion by the company’s Chief Administration Officer.

What the hell, Paul? Rise above it, give us information, or tell us you have no desire to do so.

• FarePlay

Talk about misdirected outrage, get a life. So a clothing retailer is selling some vinyl, is this a threat to the world domination of streaming? It’s a puff piece for f….. sake. Personally, I think it’s sad.

You want to take something on, talk about the beat down Sirius XM took recently.

6. Bob Merrifield

I think it’s great. If they’re getting people to ‘buy music’ more power to them. Has anyone ever been to Bop Street Records in Seattle? According to the latest edition of Record Collector News, the Wall Street Journal considers them one of the five best music stores in the country. Wonder how much Vinyl they sell annually.