6 Years After Being Discontinued, the Technics SL-1200 Turntable Is Back

The Technics SL-1200, discontinued 2010…

technics_old1

The Technics SL-1200, re-starting in 2016…

technics_new1

technics_new2

technics_new3

One of the most important turntables in history, the Technics SL-1200, was discontinued in 2010 despite a resurgence in vinyl interest.  Now, owner Panasonic is putting Technics is back in the vinyl game, with its concept unveiling at an IFA press conference in Berlin.  The move follows years of petitioning by DJs and music enthusiasts, many of whom waxed nostalgic over a turntable inseparable from important hip-hop and dance movements of the past few decades.

The updated version, presented in concept form this week, is a direct-drive turntable cast in aluminum body.  That may appeal more to audiophile consumers than DJs, especially given the massive gap in the DJ turntable market since 2010.

For Technics owner Panasonic, the decision to abandon the turntable market seemed largely based on economics, with the vinyl ‘comeback’ often exaggerated.  “Turntables are a very iconic product for the Technics brand,” Technics director Michiko Ogawa told Wired.

“The turntable market is very small but it is a very important brand product.”

1. Darren

“6 Years After Being Discontinued, the Technics SL-1200 Turntable Is Back”
    No it isn’t.
    What a way to ignore the petition, this is not a success nor is it a victory. We want the 1210, the petition is for the 1210, not this “concept”.

• Barbara Hallama

LOL …
      1200 = US (Comes in only silver).
      1210 = UK (Comes in only black).
      No real difference. These days they both have 110/220 voltage selectors anyway.

• stijn

You mean the SL-1200 II. 10/00 is just the color difference.
      The II is the DJ looking one. Also, that’s indeed the one that has been made until 2010 🙂

• Mr Spankz

I don’t mind that they have a concept as long as they bring back the 1200/10 series too.

2. ID

sl 1200/1210 MK II and/or successors – is what we want, not a ‘concept’ – what’s the use?

3. Ted

First pair of 1200’s I bought were $225 each. Never mind when. Yes, a long time ago. Prices now are redonkulous.

4. A.Lee.R

Guess I’ll use a mouse to control my pitch adjustments and a syringe to play the records…….. Just saying, a lot of those who signed the petition were Dj’s who faithfully stuck by the side of the 1200 when all this new stuff was coming at us. All I can use this for is maybe a decorative show piece for my living room or conversation piece to play music on when I have company over. Then again I will take this all back and re-evaluate my opinion if this is just an early concept design before the tonearm and controls are designed into the deck….we shall wait and see….

Paul Resnikoff

Another approach for Panasonic would be to introduce both the ‘classic’ version, and the new one. Probably distinct markets for both, but then again, they’re closer to the numbers. If the sales on the SL-1200 were outrageously great back in 2010, well… they’d never have discontinued it.

5. DJ Homeless

The picture shows an SL1200 (replacing the all mighty SL-1100) which was produced from 1972 , but this one was discontinued in 1978. It is its follow-up, the SL1200-Mk2 (the one we usually know) that was discontinued in 2010.

6. Cap65

I don’t get it. Why would you want the 1210 to return? I still HAVE them! If you don’t >>> YOU’re a drop out.

7. stef

Technics is also coming out with a beautiful silver amp with analog meters. It is their reference amp that weighs 119 pounds. It looks to me like Technics is catering to the audiophile market. Which I find very strange, since that very market were the ones that put down companies like Technics, JVC, Pioneer, Onkyo, etc…. It’s people like me that helped put those brands and Technics on the map, and now Panasonic is acting as though we don’t even exist. The people that would love to buy it, can’t afford it, and the people that can afford it, would never consider it. I also don’t understand coming out with a prototype of a turntable that gives very little indication of what the final product will look like. I thought the whole idea of a prototype was to give you SOME indication of what the product will look like???? A platter and a base. Now use your imagination for the rest. I hope Panasonic isn’t considering coming out with a turntable that is aimed at the high-end community, because these are not the people that wanted the Technics brand back. And these are not the people that supported Technics. I currently own the 1200 MkII.

8. hi_torq

Looks like a 1400Mk2 in a DIY plinth! But let’s wait and see. Chances are they sold all the tooling to the Chinese, so a remake of the exact item may not even be possible. (Back in the day, Panasonic even had its own Record Player Division! Unless they get those same people back, they will struggle to develop a new product.) Remember also that the 1200/10 Mk2 did not have the highest spec or most powerful motor; the SP series were superior in this respect.

9. Foodman

A mouse for pitch & syringe to spin? What kind of sarcasm is that? Give them time !!!