DMN brings you the biggest music industry news stories this week.
The Latest Week: November 28 to December 4, 2016
1. How to Lose Thousands of Fans In One Night, by Five Finger Death Punch
It’s a simple formula, (unfortunately) perfected by Ivan Moody of Five Finger Death Punch. Get drunk, meltdown on stage, lie to your fans, and infuriate your bandmates. This time, Ivan Moody… Read More.
2. China Bans All Korean Music and Entertainment
Many Korean music artists, groups, and actors often travel to China. The reason? China is a strong and profitable market. However, after agreeting to install an American defense system, China said NO to… Read More.
3. How Trump’s Chinese Trade War Would Ruin Apple
It’s no secret Donald Trump doesn’t think well of China. He promised to bring back jobs from China. However, China issued a strong warning to the American president-elect, saying… Read More.
4. Can Curved Screens Save Apple’s Dying iPhone?
According to a new report published by the Wall Street Journal, Apple is working on at least 10 prototypes for their upcoming iPhone 8. The curved OLED screen will cost… Read More.
5. Donald Trump’s Simple Plan to Bring Apple Manufacturing Back to the US
Since 2000, the United States has lost 5 million manufacturing jobs. Donald Trump claims trade with China and Mexico is destroying the middle class. Yet, after a phone call with Tim Cook, Trump said… Read More.
6. Imploding Kanye West Shuts Down ‘Keeping Up With the Kardashians’
The future of Keeping Up With The Kardashians is now up in the air, thanks to Kanye West’s mental breakdown. Kim Kardashian is reportedly at his side. However, all signs point to Kim Kardashian… Read More…
7. French Authorities Shut Down Two Top French Piracy Sites
Two weeks ago, French military police seized immensely popular private music torrent tracker What.CD. Afterwards, they caught their long-awaited big prize. French authorities announced… Read More.
8. Will the British Government Ban Twitter?
On Monday evening, across the sea, members of Parliament at the House of Commons voted to approve the Digital Economy Bill. This would grant the government a wide range of power to block sites without age verification. However, the bill writer said… Read More…
9. The Turtles are About to Get Paid $99 Million from SiriusXM
Why are Flo and Eddie so happy together? Probably because the former The Turtles band members got $99 million from SiriusXM. SiriusXM will pay up Flo and Eddie up to $99 million for… Read More.
10. Drake Bails on a $250,000 Gig In Abu Dhabi After Splitting With Rihanna
Image by Hail Merry (CC by 2.0) How much does it cost Drake to split up with Rihanna? Try $250,000, a missed gig in Abu Dhabi, and tons of disappointed fans. Drake didn’t show up to a highly-publicized gig. Yet, the singer was at… Read More.
November 21 to November 25
1. Kanye West Suffers Meltdown on Stage, Disses Jay Z and Beyoncé, Cancels Rest of Tour
Kanye West sung only 3 songs at the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento. He then launched a 17-minute tirade against Hillary Clinton, friends Jay Z and Beyoncé. Finally, he…Read More.
2. Updated: Kanye West Hospitalized for Emergency Psychiatric Evaluation
Following his tirade in Sacramento, Kanye West was hospitalized at UCLA Medical Center for emergency psychiatric attention. Yet, this may be just another…Read More.
3. Sacramento Radio Station Bans All Kanye West Music
Sacramento isn’t happy with Kanye West anymore. DJ Justin “Jaymarzz” Marshall at KHHM Hot 103.5 stopped Fade after just 30 seconds, before he stopped the song. DJ Marshall went on an explosive rant a “piece of crap,” a “bum,” and…Read More.
4. Manager Tries to Raise Songwriter Royalties, Gets Sued by 10,000 Radio Stations
Are radio stations paying artists just too little? Manager Irving Azoff think so. He started a new company to get around this. Artists like Pharrell and Ryan Tedder joined up. Yet, radio stations responded with a…Read More.
5. Green Day Says “No KKK, No Donald Trump, No Fascist America” at the AMAs
Green Day doesn’t like Donald Trump. So, instead of celebrating American music, the band decided to change the lyrics of Bang Bang to “No KKK, No Donald Trump, No Fascist America.” Yet… Read More.
6. Will Trump Respond to This Brutal Impersonation of Melania?
It’s no secret that the music and entertainment industry doesn’t like Donald Trump. So, what was supposed to be a celebration of American music turned into an anti-Trump fest. Model/actress Gigi Hadid impersonated the future First Lady with a terrible…Read More.
7. ABC and American Music Awards Reach All-Time Ratings Low
The American Music Awards turned 43 years old, as top-name artists like Selena Gomez and Ariana Grande turned out to receive awards. Yet, the bad news is that…Read More.
8. Ad-Rock Says Trump Supports ‘Homegrown Terrorism’ Against Jews, Minorities
Last week, neo-fascists defaced Adam Yauch park in New York. Beastie Boys member Adam Horovitz led a massive rally following the vandalism attack. He said…Read More.
9. Judge Allows “We Shall Overcome” Lawsuit to Move Forward
Was the Civil Rights protest song, We Shall Overcome, unjustly copyrighted? One foundation thinks so, and thus, filed a lawsuit. Now, a judge sided with the foundation, allowing the lawsuit to moved on. Yet, the publisher says…Read More…
10. Instagram Rips Off Snapchat With Live Video Launch
Instagram finally launched their highly-anticipated Live Video feature. You can now broadcast live from your mobile device, allowing viewers to comment in real-time. Yet, taking a closer look, the app is actually…Read More.
November 14 to November 18
1. Kanye West Denies Saying, “I Hope They Build a Wall, I Hope They Get Rid of Them All”
Did he, or didn’t he? After making hateful comments at a San Jose concert, Kanye West and reps denied that he ever said to build a wall and get rid of them all. Fans who attended the concert, however…Read More.
2. TIDAL and Roc Nation Claim to Own Exclusive Rights to Prince’s Catalog.
Last Friday, DMN reported that Tidal could face millions in copyright infringement for illegally uploading and streaming Prince’s entire catalog. In a preemptive strike, Jay Z’s Tidal and Roc Nation sued the Prince estate, claiming the company does have the right to stream. Yet, the biggest problem is that Jay Z didn’t…Read More…
3. Prince Estate Files Lawsuit Against Tidal, Jay Z, and Roc Nation.
How do you fight a lawsuit? That’s easy. You counter-sue. Welcome to the music industry!
As expected, Prince’s NPG Records sued Jay Z, Tidal, and Roc Nation for illegally streaming Prince’s entire song catalog. Jay-Z hasn’t paid up, and the “exclusive rights” only lasted 90 days. If successful, Jay Z, Tidal, and Roc Nation will face…Read More.
4. April: Metallica Calls YouTube ‘the Devil’. November: Metallica Uploads Entire Album to YouTube.
How’s this for a quick change of mind? After calling YouTube the ‘Devil,’ back in April, Metallica has uploaded their entire service on YouTube. So is Metallica simply surrendering, just like every other mega-artist? It looks like…Read More.
5. 2013: Radiohead Calls Spotify a ‘Last Fart of a Dying Corpse’. 2016: Radiohead Uploads Entire Catalog to Spotify.
Another day, another change of heart. This time, Radiohead apparently has had a change of heart, with their entire music catalog now available on Spotify, years after Thom Yorke pulled the band’s catalog. So it looks like the dying corpse called Spotify came back to life, and is now…Read More.
6. Source: The Rolling Stones Invited to Play Donald Trump’s Presidential Inauguration
After Election Day, many people can’t get no satisfaction. President-elect Donald Trump loves the Stones. Now, a source close to the band spoke to DMN and said that the Rolling Stones will have first dibs on playing Donald Trump’s inauguration. However, the offer could…Read More.
7. Frank Ocean Calls the Grammys Racist: “This Is My Colin Kaepernick Moment”
Snubbing award ceremonies are proving to be the latest trend in the entertainment industry. Now, Frank Ocean will officially snub the Grammys, calling it his “Colin Kaepernick moment.” Kanye West promised to follow suit. Readers will remember that…Read More…
8. Breaking: Amazon Starts Cracking Down on Counterfeit CDs…
On Tuesday, Amazon filed lawsuits against individual sellers and comapnies in California, New York, and Florida, for selling counterfeit CDs. Amazon is joined by a fitness company. An RIAA study showed that Amazon is guilty of…Read More…
9. Can Streaming be Profitable? Surprising Results from Rhapsody & Napster…
For the first time in several years, Rhapsody/Napster posted a minor but substantial revenue gain. Last year, Rhapsody posted a $35.5 million loss. The move comes after Rhapsody announced company…Read More…
10. Rick Ross Could Face Felony Charges for Issuing Death Threats Against Donald Trump
Freedom of speech. What freedom of speech? Rick Ross may face Class E felony charges for issuing a direct death threat at the now President-elect. The issue surrounds the…Read More.
Make sure to check digitalmusicnews.com for up-to-minute music industry news updates!
(Image by Chris Marquardt, Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic, cc by-sa 2.0)