POSITION TITLE: Assistant Chair, Music Business/Management Department
Berklee College of Music
DEPARTMENT: Music Business/Management
DIVISION: Professional Education Division
Berklee College of Music is seeking applications for the position of Assistant Chair of the Music Business/Management Department. As one of the largest majors at the College, Music Business/Management is an established program that offers innovative instruction, regularly engages with music industry professionals, sponsors multiple visiting artists and annual events, and provides ongoing support for career preparation through experiential learning. The Music Business/Management Department houses two institutes (Berklee Institute for Creative Entrepreneurship and Berklee Popular Music Institute) and includes a world-class faculty of experienced educators and business professionals.
The Assistant Chair will serve as an academic and administrative leader of the Department—working under the direction and supervision of the Chair. This is a 12-month administrative position with a renewable contract.
The Assistant Chair will be an experienced administrator and teacher with professional experience in business environments. S/he will have evidence of industry engagement, strong leadership qualities, and managerial and organizational skills. S/he will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a wide variety of constituencies on- and off-campus. The ideal candidate will be forward thinking and possess a commitment to the education of music business students.
• Represent the Music Business/Management Department as an administrative leader on- and off-campus
• Advance the student experience and the work of the Department, Division, and College
• Contribute to curriculum development, review, and management
• Assist with faculty and staff hires, development, mentoring, and evaluation
• Assist with the development of class schedules and teaching assignments for faculty
• Advance Departmental goals
• Assist with the management of Department budgets
• Serve on Department, Division, and College committees
• Assist with student advising
• Facilitate Department-sponsored guest artists and events
• Teach a minimum of one course per fall/spring semester
• Maintain professional engagement
• Other duties as assigned
• Advanced degree(s) in disciplines that include the arts, business, and/or law
• A record of administrative experience in higher education, preferably in a music business/industry program
• College or university teaching experience
• Professional experience in business environments, preferably with an arts/music connection
• A record of professional engagement and ability to establish and maintain relationships with music industry constituencies, organizations, and academic partners
• Strong command of technology to support administrative tasks
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Commitment to diversity and the education of music business/management students
The start date for the position is August 2017.
1. Electronic applications only. Please submit application materials in either Word or PDF format and send to berkleegigs.silkroad.com. Address your cover letter to: Music Business/Management Department Assistant Chair Search Committee, Attn: Darla Hanley, Dean, Professional Education Division, Berklee College of Music.
2. Candidates should submit:
• A cover letter of interest outlining background and qualifications
• A curriculum vitae (including contact information for at least three references)
• Note: Supporting materials may be requested as the search progresses—and may not be returned.
APPLICATION REVIEW AND DEADLINE
1. Review of applications will begin November 1, 2016.
2. This search will remain open for applications until the position is filled.
Berklee College of Music is committed to increasing the diversity of the college community and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.