Madonna’s disastrous ‘Madame X’ tour is done – final shows canceled over coronavirus concerns.
The 61-year-old singer had two final shows in Paris at the Le Grand Rex on March 10-11. Both shows are now listed as canceled on her official website.
Live Nation confirmed the cancellation is due to restrictions imposed over the coronavirus outbreak. France has banned gatherings of more than 1,000 to try and control the spread of coronavirus cases.
“Following official notification from the Office of the Police this morning prohibiting all events with an audience attendance of over 1,000 – Live Nation regrets to announce the final two Madame X tour performances are cancelled,” the statement reads.
The final two performances of this tour were already re-scheduled once after Madonna suffered injuries.
Overall, several tour dates ended up canceled on this disastrous run of a tour. Madonna has yet to speak out on the cancellation, but she probably finds the timing very convenient.
The singer said she was forced to undergo six hours of rehab each day she performed. Her doctors recommended she stop performing back-to-back shows and give herself a day between to rest.
SXSW is the first major festival to cancel its event – but other shows are hanging by a thread. Coachella, Stagecoach, and Glastonbury are all facing pressure to cancel this year.
The ‘Madame X’ tour hasn’t been without its problems since it launched last year.
Madonna was forced to cancel several shows in the United States in Boston and Miami. At the end of one of her final concerts in Paris, she missed the chair and fell on the floor causing another cancellation. The singer is relying on knee supports and a cane to walk, so maybe a 79-date tour was just a bit too much.
Overall, 14 shows were canceled in the US, UK, Portugal, and France. Madonna said being forced to cancel her shows is “a kind of punishment for me.”