Apple Music is launching DJ mixes in spatial audio, giving fans a new way to experience these mixes.
Apple says spatial audio is the next natural step in its commitment to sound and DJ mixes. The company launched a program last year allowing for the proper identification and compensation of creators involved in mixes on Apple Music.
Apple Music’s first DJ partner is Detroit techno pioneer, Jeff Mills. He will drop an exclusive hour-long mix inspired by the cosmos and mixed in spatial audio using Dolby Atmos technology. The mix is titled “Outer to Inner Atmosphere: The Escape Velocity Mix,” and it relaunches Apple Music’s One Mix series. One Mix is a showcase of the world’s best DJs and producers in the mix. New DJ mixes will be added monthly as Apple Music partners with some of electronic music’s biggest DJs.
“The response to spatial audio from both subscribers and creators has been incredible, and we’re thrilled to expand this innovation in sound,” says Stephen Campbell, Apple Music’s Global Head of Dance and Electronic Music.
“It’s an honor to have Jeff Mills create our first One Mix in spatial audio,” Campbell adds. “He is a generational icon and a true techno pioneer that has taken the concept to a dimension further than we could have dreamt with ‘Outer to Inner Atmosphere: The Escape Velocity Mix.'”
Jeff Mills has spent thirty years pushing techno into new frontiers. His exclusive Apple Music DJ mix is no exception, featuring tracks from his Axis Records / the Escape Velocity catalog.
“The purpose of this recording was conceptualized and designed to stimulate the listeners’ three-dimensional senses and sensations using the subject and idea of breaking Earth’s gravitational pull and leaving the planet,” says Jeff Mills about his unique DJ mix. “The embarkment to a place outside and unlike our own.”
“With this immersive sound experience also came certain aspects that needed to be addressed. Ones that uses our psychological responses, like anticipation and mystery, the risks and danger of such a journey and most importantly, the translation of the feeling that ‘a step forward’ has been taken,” Jeff Mills continues.
In addition to the relaunch of One Mix, Apple Music is also debuting 15 Boiler Room mixes captured at nightclubs, festivals, and raves around the world. These captures are newly mixed in spatial audio with Dolby Atmos for the first time ever.
Boiler Room Sessions on Apple Music with Spatial Audio
- Bambii – Boiler Room: Bambii in London, Oct 16, 2021 (DJ Mix)
- Fiyahdred – Boiler Room: Fiyahdred in London, Oct 16, 2021 (DJ Mix)
- HAAi – Boiler Room: HAAi at Sugar Mountain, Melbourne, Feb 26, 2022 (DJ Mix)
- C.FRIM – Boiler Room: C.FRIM at Sugar Mountain, Melbourne, Feb 26, 2022 (DJ Mix)
- Analog Soul – Boiler Room Festival 2021: Analog Soul in New York City (DJ Mix)
- Ash Lauryn – Boiler Room Festival 2021: Ash Lauryn in New York City (DJ Mix)
- India Jordan – Boiler Room: India Jordan in London, Sept 4, 2021 (DJ Mix)
- Lady Shaka – Boiler Room: Lady Shaka in London, Oct 16, 2021 (DJ Mix)
- Boys Noize – Boiler Room: Boys Noize in Los Angeles, Sep 25, 2021 (DJ Mix)
- Carista – Boiler Room: Carista at AVA, Belfast, Sep 25, 2021 (DJ Mix)
- FJAAK – Boiler Room: FJAAK at AVA, Belfast, Sep 24, 2021 (DJ Mix)
- object blue – Boiler Room: object blue at AVA, Belfast, Sep 24, 2021 (DJ Mix)
- Swoose – Boiler Room: Swoose at AVA, Belfast, Sep 25, 2021 (DJ Mix)
- Benji B – Boiler Room: Benji B in London, Sep 4, 2021 (DJ Mix)
- The Blessed Madonna – Boiler Room: The Blessed Madonna in London, Sep 4, 2021 (DJ Mix)