Cassie, Her Husband, Others Respond to Diddy’s Apology Over Leaked Assault Video

Cassie responds to Diddy's apology
  • Save

Cassie responds to Diddy's apology
  • Save
Photo Credit: CNN

Cassie Ventura and her husband, as well as celebrities like 50 Cent, have responded to Diddy’s apology video over the leaked 2016 footage showing him beating Cassie in a hotel hallway.

No sooner had Sean “Diddy” Combs released an apology video on social media addressing the leaked footage of him beating ex-girlfriend Cassie Ventura in a hotel hallway in 2016 than attorneys for Ventura, as well as her husband and others, released statements in response.

The video, obtained by CNN, was taken on March 5, 2016, at the now-closed InterContinental Hotel in Los Angeles. It closely matches the description of the incident as recounted by Ventura in her lawsuit filed last year. In the footage, a bath towel-clad Combs can be seen attacking Ventura as she tries to escape to a hotel elevator.

The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office released a statement calling the footage “extremely disturbing and difficult to watch,” but that the incident happened too long ago to be prosecuted, as California has only a one-year statute of limitations for assault.

Combs released his own video over the weekend, facing the camera directly and apologizing for the behavior, though he previously denied the event had occurred until the leaked footage exposed him.

Lawyers for Cassie Ventura called Combs’ apology “pathetic,” branding his words as “disingenuous,” and selfish. “Combs’ most recent statement is more about himself than the many people he has hurt,” said Meredith Firetog, a partner at Wigdor LLP.

“When Cassie and multiple other women came forward, he denied everything and suggested that his victims were looking for a payday,” said Firetog. “That he was only compelled to ‘apologize’ once his repeated denials were proven false shows his pathetic desperation, and no one will be swayed by his disingenuous words.”

Another attorney for Ventura, Douglas Widgor, released a statement prior to Combs’ apology video, when the surveillance footage was released by CNN on Friday (May 17). “The gut-wrenching video has only further confirmed the disturbing and predatory behavior of Mr. Combs,” Wigdor wrote. “Words cannot express the courage and fortitude that Ms. Ventura has shown in coming forward to bring this to light.”

Cassie’s husband, Alex Fine, also shared a statement on Instagram in a post titled “Letter to women and children,” addressing the situation and calling out men who commit violence against women.

“Men who hit women aren’t men. Men who enable it and protect those people aren’t men,” wrote Fine. “Hold the women in your life with the utmost regard. Men who hurt women hate women.”

Though he did not mention Combs by name, Fine ended his letter with words directed at abusers: “You’re done, you’re not safe anymore, you’re not protected anymore, the men by your side are just as weak.”

Other celebrities have weighed in on the leaked footage and Combs’ subsequent apology, including fellow rapper 50 Cent, who sarcastically wrote: “Now I’m sure Puffy didn’t do it — he is innocent; this proves nothing! This is what his lawyers are gonna say, God help us all,” he added, before addressing Combs’ accusations that those alleging abuse were looking for a “quick payday.” “The lie detector test has determined this was a lie.”

Singer and reality star Aubrey O’Day, who previously worked with Combs, wrote on the former Twitter: “Diddy did not apologize to Cassie. He apologized to the world for seeing what he did.”

Despite Combs’ claims of innocence, several physical and sexual assault lawsuits have been levied against him over the past year, many of which are still pending. In March, two of Combs’ properties in Los Angeles and Miami were raided by Homeland Security as part of an ongoing federal sex trafficking investigation.