Location: Encinitas, CA
Who We Are
At Surfdog Records we live and breathe our passion for music in our tropical bungalows by the beach! Our company was established in 1985. It all started with Dave Kaplan opening the doors to the company’s first division: Surfdog/DKM Management. Soon thereafter, came Surfdog Records, a wholly owned independent record label. Then came Surfdog Music Publishing & Licensing, Surfdog Merchandising, and our very own island-style café Surfdog’s Java Hut; all located in the slice of heaven we call Encinitas, CA.
Surfdog/DKM Management has established a strong and extensive network of associates among the music industry, major and independent music labels, musicians and their management, film, and television, and the action sports industry. DKM has worked with clients including Brian Setzer, Stray Cats, Sublime, Dave Stewart, UB40, Glen Campbell (co-management), Gary Hoey, Royal Crown Revue, BulletBoys, and Butthole Surfers, among many more.
Surfdog Records has released over 150 albums by artists such as Eric Clapton, Brian Setzer, Stray Cats, Glen Campbell, Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Slightly Stoopid, Butthole Surfers, Richard Cheese, Dan Hicks, and the Hot Licks, Gary Hoey, and many more.
We are driven by real artists and musicians with passion and soul, regardless of musical style; it just needs to hit you in the heart, gut, head, or all three. But don’t let our casual, unassuming nature fool you. We are relentless in our pursuit of excellence for our artists and clients and we release music we love and want to share with the world.
Position: Production & Merchandising Manager
The Production & Merchandising Manager oversees the entire production process of all of Surfdog’s digital and physical album releases. In this role, you work directly with our distribution partners, merch partner, vinyl plants, mastering studios, and graphic designers. You also manage merchandising when applicable (designs, manufacturing, and distribution), run the music licensing database, oversee the Surfdog website and eCommerce store, and the Surfdog Records Internship Program.
- Oversee the production of all Surfdog album releases
- Management of milestone due dates for the delivery of all digital and physical production elements
- Responsible for the delivery of all audio masters for both physical & digital formats, album metadata, and art files to our distribution partner
- Work closely with graphic designers on the creation of physical album art (from initial concepts to the final product that goes to production)
- Responsible for sending final album artwork to the President and owner for approval
- Liaison between our North America based distributor and international partners on Worldwide releases
- Create One-sheets for physical retail solicitation
- Ensure all album expenses are approved internally by the President and owner
- Create and manage all the Surfdog Album Release google spreadsheets
- Work directly with various mastering studios
- Oversee Surfdog’s master and synch licensing database and incoming requests
- Oversees the Surfdog website and eCommerce store (i.e. ensure the site stays up to date with new banners, news posts, products, etc.)
- Work with our merch partner to help design the merchandise for our label artists as well as see thru the manufacturing and distribution process
- Create a sales and streaming report after a new release is out to send to the artist
- Assist the President on a daily basis with current projects
- Oversee the Surfdog Records Internship Program and sit 1:1 with the seasonal interns to teach them about your role
- Seek out signing new acts for label or management
- Stay up to date with current music industry trends
- Attend artist’s shows
- Previous production experience in the music industry, preferably at a Record Label
- Ability to meet deadlines when under pressure
- You have exceptional attention to detail and the ability to track and follow through on multiple current projects to completion
- Excellent time management, organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workload
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and efficiently to meet deadlines
- Strong leadership skills, problem-solving skills, & project management skills
- Strong written and oral communications skills with co-workers and executives at various levels within and outside the company
- Basic knowledge of music licensing is a plus
- Knowledge of print and packaging design
- You have familiarity with digital audio file formats and an understanding of all digital platforms
- You know how to create P&Ls, sales sheet, and ISRC sheet and you have
- A basic understanding of music copyrights laws is a plus
- Lover of music
- Proficient in Excel
- Ability to work nights & weekends when necessary
- Must be available outside of standard business hours
- Medical Insurance
- Employee Profit Sharing
- Pay is based on experience
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Good luck! Let’s build the future music industry. Tell ’em Digital Music News sent ya!