Are you a musician who has lost work due to coronavirus shutdowns? This quick guide helps you learn how to live stream on Twitch or contribute to the MusiCares relief fund.
The Recording Academy’s relief fund, MusiCares, is also helping music professionals. They are accepting applications from professionals who can prove festival closures and event shutdowns impacted their ability to work. While there are a few paperwork requirements for applying, mostly to prevent abuse.
But what about supporting yourself with your music during this time? Many indie musicians are turning to streaming on social media to earn income while the world is shut down. Here’s how to live stream on several popular platforms.
How to Live Stream on Twitch
- Start by signing up for an account at Twitch.tv
- You will need a microphone, webcam, computer, and your instrument or voice
- Download Twitch Studio or OBS Studio to get started
Musicians who already have a SoundCloud account can get fast-tracked to affiliate status. Affiliate status on Twitch lets you monetize your channel by displaying ads and collecting donations from your live audience. Affiliate status usually has a few restrictions like having an established userbase, but SoundCloud and Twitch are bypassing these restrictions.
How to Contribute Donations to MusiCares on Instagram
- Tap the donation sticker button after you’ve taken a photo or video in the Instagram Stories camera.
- Search for non-profits and select MusiCares.
- Once you’ve selected MusiCares, give the sticker a fundraiser title.
- Share your story to let followers know they can start donating.
Contribute Donations from Live Video on Facebook
- Tap Live at the top of the News Feed on your profile or page.
- Tap Add Donate Button.
- Search and select MusiCares.
- Tap Start Live Video to begin your session with a donation button available.
Add Donate Button to Facebook Post
- Click, ‘What’s on your mind?’ on your Facebook timeline.
- Choose Support Non-profit and select MusiCares.
- Write a post about why MusiCares is vital to use and share the post to your Facebook followers.