Whitney Houston’s Estate, Gaither Music Group, and Arista/Legacy Recordings release the long-awaited album and documentary I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston.
Gaither Music Group, Arista/Legacy Recordings, and The Estate of Whitney E. Houston release the long-awaited project, I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston. The album features 15 tracks, including six previously unreleased songs, showcasing Whitney’s deep connection to gospel music that profoundly influenced her life and career. The album is now available on CD through Gaither Music Group and digital streaming platforms via Arista/Legacy Recordings.
To accompany the album’s release, a documentary TV special hosted by Grammy-winning gospel singer CeCe Winans and produced by Barry Jennings explores the singer’s steadfast faith that accompanied her to stardom.
From her first-ever performance in front of an audience to her many breathtaking appearances performing gospel songs, I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston includes Whitney’s performances at the NAACP Image Awards, the American Music Awards, and Ebony’s 50th Anniversary TV special. The special will air on multiple TV networks, premiering at 8 PM ET on UPtv and AspireTV, and will release on DVD.
“Along with the Estate of Whitney E. Houston and Primary Wave Music, we are thrilled to release I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston. This album celebrates Whitney’s deep roots in gospel music and showcases her incredible talent and passion for the genre,” says Paul Sizelove, President of Gaither Music Group. “We hope that listeners will be moved and inspired by Whitney’s powerful performances and the timeless messages of faith and hope in these songs.”
“Whitney Houston’s impact on the world of music is immeasurable, and her gospel roots were a significant part of her talent and legacy. We are thrilled to bring this project to her fans, old and new,” adds Pat Houston, Executor of the Estate of Whitney E. Houston. “It not only celebrates Whitney’s love for gospel music but also pays tribute to her unwavering faith and the comfort she found in her spirituality. We can’t wait for audiences to experience this incredible tribute to Whitney’s life and career.”
I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston Album Track List:
- I Go to the Rock (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- Jesus Loves Me (The Bodyguard Soundtrack)
- He Can Use Me – previously unreleased track
- Joy to the World (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- Bridge Over Troubled Water (Whitney and CeCe Winans; VH1 Honors) – previously unreleased track
- Testimony – previously unreleased track
- His Eye Is on the Sparrow (Sparkle Soundtrack)
- Hold On, Help Is on the Way (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- This Day (VH1 Honors) – previously unreleased track
- I Found a Wonderful Way – previously unreleased track
- Joy (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- I Love the Lord (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- He/I Believe – previously unreleased track
I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston Documentary Track List:
- I Go to the Rock – Whitney Houston featuring the Georgia Mass Choir, Saturday Night Live, 1996
- Guide Me O Thou, Great Jehovah – Whitney Houston, The Arsenio Hall Show, 1990
- This Day – Whitney Houston, VH1 Honors, 1995
- Jesus Loves Me – Whitney Houston, Live in Santiago, Chile, 1994
- Wonderful Counselor – Whitney, Cissy, & Gary Houston, American Music Awards, 1988
- Hold Up the Light – Whitney Houston and BeBe & CeCe Winans, 21st NAACP Image Awards, 1989
- Bridge Over Troubled Water – Whitney Houston and CeCe Winans, VH1 Honors, 1995
- I Look to You – Whitney Houston, 2009
- I Love the Lord – Whitney Houston featuring the Georgia Mass Choir, 50th Anniversary of Ebony Magazine TV Special, 1996
- Joy to the World – Whitney Houston featuring the Georgia Mass Choir, 50th Anniversary of Ebony Magazine TV Special, 1996
With over 200 million records sold worldwide, Whitney Houston remains one of the highest-selling artists in music history. Her performance on the soundtrack to the 1996 film The Preacher’s Wife elevated it to the best-selling gospel album ever, while her performance on the soundtrack to the 1992 film The Bodyguard garnered recognition as the best-selling soundtrack album of all time. She also holds the distinction as the only artist to have achieved seven consecutive number-one singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, cementing her place as one of the most accomplished recording artists.