Alleged Diddy Drug Mule Brendan Paul Pleads Not Guilty As Diddy Remains Untouched

alleged diddy drug mule
  • Save

alleged diddy drug mule
  • Save
Photo Credit: Miami-Dade Corrections

Diddy’s alleged drug mule Brendan Paul pleads not guilty as the music mogul remains untouched, while his legal team focuses on the character of accuser Lil Rod.

Brendan Paul, the 25-year-old former Syracuse University basketball player accused of serving as a “drug mule” for music and business mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs, was formally arraigned in a Miami-Dade County courtroom this week. Attorneys filed a felony cocaine possession charge against Paul, whose attorney Brian Bieber entered a not guilty plea on his behalf. A possession of controlled substance charge against him was dropped.

Paul was arrested last month after being taken into custody at Miami-Opa Locka Executive Airport for carrying both cocaine and cannabis edibles, said Miami-Dade Police in an arrest affidavit. He posted bond and was released on March 26, a day after his arrest.

At the time, video circulated of Diddy pacing around the same airport that day while Homeland Security agents raided his homes in Miami Beach and Los Angeles in connection with an ongoing sex trafficking probe. Combs’ attorney has called the raids an “unprecedented ambush,” asserting his client is innocent and “will continue to fight every single day to clear his name.”

Still, a felony drug charge for Paul could spell trouble for the Bad Boy mogul. As the investigation into Combs is ongoing, officials are now in the perfect position to offer Paul a deal, which could result in charges reduced or dropped in exchange for cooperation in the case.

Meanwhile, Sean Combs’ legal team is focused on the character of producer Rodney “Lil Rod” Smith, who is suing the rapper for $30 million with allegations that he was forced to engage in sex acts, was drugged, and witnessed countless illegal activity while the two worked together. They posit that his history of “troubling arrests and convictions” make him an unreliable witness.

Documents reveal that Smith was charged with domestic assault in 2009 and 2014, as well as receiving a misdemeanor sexual assault charge in 2005. Those charges were all dismissed — but he was convicted of reckless homicide in 2003.

Lil Rod’s attorney Tyrone Blackburn — whose own character has been called into question by Combs’ team — elaborated on that conviction, which occurred when the producer was 17 years old.

“He was driving a vehicle with his cousin in the passenger seat. The police pulled him over, but he was afraid and drove off,” said Blackburn. “It was pretty typical behavior for a young black boy in Chicago when pulled over by the police. As a result, he totaled the vehicle, and his cousin, who was his best friend, died.”

“He has to live with the guilt of the death of his best friend and family member for the rest of his life,” Blackburn continued. “But don’t let that stop you from running the story and getting your clicks.”

Blackburn also asserted that Combs’ legal team “can do nothing to distract from the fact that he will be indicted soon.”