Sandy Benefit Album Withheld from Spotify

Of all the Spotify holdouts, this perhaps speaks the loudest.

Because exposure for a cause is great, but actual donations are better.  And after staging a resoundingly successful ’12-12-12′ charitable concert for the victims of Superstorm Sandy, the recorded version of that event is not available on streaming services like Spotify.

Instead, the Robin Hood Relief Fund and coordinating label Columbia Records have opted to forego streaming services to protect donation levels, at least during the initial release window.  At this point, we’re uncertain if the release will ever be made available across streaming services, though we’re awaiting word back from both Spotify and the Robin Hood Fund.

Already, the charitable effort has delivered $50 million in relief funds, and the recording is designed to further maximize those contributions.  “Columbia Records announced today that music is now available from the 12-12-12 benefit concert… to provide the most assistance possible to the victims of Hurricane Sandy through the Robin Hood Relief Fund,” the label shared.

Here’s the tracklisting for this release.  More details at www.121212concert.org.

1. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, “Land of Hope and Dreams”
2. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, “Wrecking Ball”
3. Roger Waters, “Another Brick In The Atlantic Wall Part I, II & III”
4. Roger Waters, “Us and Them”
5. Roger Waters feat. Eddie Vedder, “Comfortably Numb”
6. Adam Sandler and Paul Shaffer, “Hallelujah (Sandy Relief Version)”
7. Bon Jovi, “It’s My Life”
8. Bon Jovi, “Wanted Dead Or Alive”
9. Eric Clapton, “Got To Be Better In A Little While”
10. Eric Clapton, “Crossroads”
11. The Rolling Stones, “You Got Me Rocking”
12. The Rolling Stones, “Jumpin Jack Flash”
13. Alicia Keys, “No One”
14. The Who, “Who Are You”
15. The Who, “Baba O’Reilly”
16. The Who, “Love Reign O’er Me”
17. Billy Joel, “Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)”
18. Billy Joel, “Moving Out (Anthony’s Song)”
19. Billy Joel, “You May Be Right”
20. Chris Martin, “Viva La Vida
21. Chris Martin feat. Michael Stipe, “Losing My Religion”
22. Chris Martin, “Us Against The World”
23. Paul McCartney, “Helter Skelter”
24. Alicia Keys, “Empire State Of Mind”

13 Responses

  1. @mattadownes

    I’ve read that they did $35m in gate receipts for the 12/12/12 event. They only raised an additional $15m? Is that right?

    Did any of the bands or legions of actors that were on set donate?

    Didn’t Two billion people watch this event?

  2. Vail, CO

    Yeah yeah, we get it: Spotify doesn’t pay jack s–t. But for 99.9% of all artists it doesn’t matter because they have to have the exposure, and the remaining 0.1% people will just get elsewhere.

    Spotify still wins.

    • sad/true

      “Spotify still wins”

      Sad but true, the artist lost this battle. Even Taylor, Rihanna, Coldplay, deadmau5 can’t stop this train.

  3. Visitor

    You should post one of these articles for every major album with major sales that is on the service from day one.

    Oh, right, that’s not the agenda this site chooses to pusue. Also, it would be an overwhelming number of entries.

  4. JJB

    So Spotify is paying millions per quarter to Sony Music and they still cannot get all the releases? Raw deal.

  5. robaljames

    I love you guys, I really do. I have for years! But why the hell would a CHARITY album stream on Spotify upon its release? What point are you making here? I am blown away by this post. In fact, my brain just exploded.

    This argument is getting more and more absurd by the day.

    • Jsut sayin'

      It’s available on Amazon and other DL sites.

      I’d suspect that since the tracks are available as “bundle only” is why it’s not on Spotify or any other streaming sites. But if Paul wants to go on his Spotify crusade, more power to him.

  6. Visitor

    Not being American, I thought this story and album was about Sandy Hook.

    That it for once would be a protest against stuff you can actually change. Like the NRA. Instead it’s a protest against bad weather.

    • Visitor

      And you as not American should not come and teach us if we are supposed to have guns. Period.

      • Visitor

        “And you as not American should not come and teach us if we are supposed to have guns”

        Welcome to the global world…

  7. Jamel

    Spotify is a complete ripoff for artists so is Pandora. Streaming isn’t sustainable because it completely rips off the source of the product the artist.

    http://www.EmanioMedia.com is a webapplication dedicated to makeing music a win win for all involved. Artists get exposure, more album sales and fans get paid for discovering and sharing new music with their friends.

    Steaming won’t last.

    J