Swedes Don’t Download. Canadians Don’t Stream…

  • Save

Sources: IFPI, Recording Industry Association of Japan (RIAJ).

17 Responses

  1. Bill Rosenblatt

    This does not gibe with the latest (2014) RIAA figures for the US market. The 55% for downloads is about right, but I’d put the percentage of “subscription streaming” at much more than the 14% stated here.

    I assume that the figures for subscription streaming, because they are so high in Nordics, include ad revenue from free-tier Spotify and Deezer and the like. So to make it apples to apples, you’d need to include ad-supported interactive streaming (Spotify Free, YouTube, Vevo) as well as paid interactive streaming (Spotify Paid, Beats, Rhapsody, Google Play All Access, Rdio). Add these and you get 24% of total digital revenue. Much more if you count satellite radio.

    • Me

      55%+14%=69% Where is the other 31% of US digital income coming from?

      • Bill Rosenblatt

        I can’t speak for those IFPI numbers, but the RIAA revenue numbers have the following digital components:
        – Download singles
        – Download albums
        – SoundExchange distributions (= Internet radio, satellite radio, and digital TV radio e.g. Music Choice)
        – Paid subscriptions (probably includes things like Pandora One and Slacker Plus in addition to Spotify Premium, Beats, Rhapsody, Rdio, Google Play All Access, Tidal)
        – On-demand streaming (ad-supported) (= YouTube, Vevo, Spotify Free)
        Plus three categories that are small-to-vanishing: kiosk sales, music video downloads, and ringtones/ringbacks.

        • Me

          So… 31% of digital revenue is coming from kiosk sales, music video downloads, and ringtones/ringbacks? Idk… I’m kind of skeptical.

  2. Anonymous

    This is a poorly labeled “article.” The chart only takes into account streaming subscription revenue. Just because people aren’t paying for streaming doesn’t mean they “aren’t that into it.” It just means they like doing it for free.

  3. RIAA

    RIAA 2014 numbers:

    Download: $2.64 billion (down 9.5%)
    Streaming: $1.87 billion (up 29%)
    Physical CD: $1.85 billion (down 12.3%)

    2015 prediction assuming same trend.

    Streaming: $2.41 billion (up 29%)
    Download: $2.39 billion (down 9.5%)
    CD: $1.62 billion (down 12.3%)

    • RickyLopez

      Any profitably figures on these predictions? Or are they hoping VC will still keep ploughing money in. YouTube just turned 10 and has never made a penny profit even with the most famous company in the world promoting it and propping it up.

  4. Jughead

    I have teenagers (and all of their friends) around my house–none of them care about downloads. It’s all Spotify/Pandora/whatever.

    Ask a 13 year-old what is hip.

  5. Alex

    Canada has only had Spotify for 6 months. Just watch that number change immensely in the next 12-18 months.


    Swedes Don’t Download. Canadians Don’t Stream and Maybe they should smoke more Weed!

  7. RickyLopez

    To the author [Paul] The UK is the 4th largest market but absent from the info. Was this deliberate?

  8. karen

    Alex is right, Canada only just got spotify last fall, so it’s not reflected in those statistics. We don’t yet have Pandora. There are so many problems with streaming in Canada. We also have some of the most expensive internet access in the world, especially THE most expensive when it comes to mobile data.
    We’d love to stream more, but our f’d up system prevents it.

  9. Tcooke

    These streaming countries are weak ass countries. Their militaries suck ass. Streaming is for light weights.

  10. Anonymous

    Quote “Canada has only had Spotify for 6 months. Just watch that number change immensely in the next 12-18 months.”

    doubt it..
    We have had deezer for awhile and its barely being able to get a hold.. Also grooveshark was available in here and our number were (per capita) much lower then anyone else..
    As mentioned above the most likely culprit is mobile data costs in Canada are pretty high..
    Also torrenting (stealing music) is extremely high in canada (long story)