Gabrielle Union and NBC met for five hours today to discuss her dismissal from America’s Got Talent, which Union described as “productive.”
In a Twitter post after the meeting Union wrote, “We had a lengthy 5-hour, and what I thought to be, productive meeting. I was able to, again, express my unfiltered truth. I led with transparency and my desire and hope for real change.”
NBC also issued a statement in regards to the meeting with Union, in which they largely echoed her sentiments. They said, “The initial conversation was candid and productive. While there will be a further investigation to get a deeper understanding of the facts, we are working with Gabrielle to come to a positive resolution.”
On November 22, it was announced that neither Union nor actress Julianne Hough would be coming back for what will be the show’s 15th season. But it was not until Thanksgiving weekend that their dismissal became controversial, when it was reported that the women’s firing was related to a toxic working atmosphere on the show.
Since then, many have come out in support of Union. First, SAG-AFTRA announced that they were launching an official investigation of the matter.
Now, others are coming out in support of Union.
Both Howard Stern and Sharon Osbourne, who were once judges on the show, have spoken out against what they termed a “boy’s club” atmosphere that exists on the show, which they blamed on executive producer Simon Cowell.
Tina Tchen, who is the president and CEO of Time’s Up — which is an organization formed in conjunction with the #MeToo movement — has also come to Union’s defense. She said, “Not only did Union reportedly endure and witness racist and inappropriate behavior — including racially-insensitive comments and excessive criticism about her physical appearance — but it also appears she was punished for speaking out.”
Tchen further issued a petition that urges NBC “to take Union’s allegations seriously.”