The Weeknd’s new music video for his upcoming single has been pulled from IMAX theaters over epilepsy concerns.
The music video for “Take My Breath” was scheduled to show in IMAX theaters ahead of Suicide Squad. But the music video was pulled due to concerns a strobe lighting effect could induce seizures in some people. A representative for the artist confirmed to Pitchfork that the music video was pulled.
“Take My Breath” and its accompanying music video will still be released this Friday on YouTube.
The Weeknd shared a two-minute preview of the song on Monday, August 2. He announced the new single in an ad made in conjunction with the Tokyo Olympics. According to the artist, this album is the one “he’s always wanted to make.”
The Weeknd debuted his album After Hours in March 2020. Since then, he’s released a handful of remixes with several stars like Rosalia, Ariana Grande, and Kenny G. He also headlined the Super Bowl LV halftime show – which he funded himself.
The lack of Grammy nominations for After Hours prompted the artist to criticize the Recording Academy’s voting committees as corrupt. He says he will no longer submit his work for Grammy consideration. The response prompted some changes at the Recording Academy and its nominating processes, but The Weeknd says he will remain firm.
The Weeknd’s music video isn’t the only one to garner attention due to epilepsy concerns.
Several other music videos have contained warnings for those who may be sensitive to strobing lights. Epilepsy Action often recommends certain music videos contain warnings for those with the conditions.
The Epilepsy Foundation of America says that 1 in 26 people in the US will develop the condition. Around a tenth of people with the condition are affected by seizures induced by rapid strobing lights. That has led online platforms like TikTok to develop warnings on content that may trigger those seizures.