The Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival is a huge event for live music fans. How much does being part of the Coachella lineup increase music streaming numbers for artists who are part of the lineup? Here’s the hard data from Spotify.
Spotify says in 2022 alone, Coachella user-generated playlists on Spotify amassed more than 11 million streams. That’s across all music fans compiling playlists of the artists featured in this year’s lineup. So what were the most-streamed songs in user-generated playlists for Coachella 2022?
- “Watermelon Sugar” – Harry Styles
- “Happier Than Ever” – Billie Eilish
- “The Difference” – Flume, Toro y Moi
- “Don’t You Worry Child” – Swedish House Mafia (ft. John Martin)
- “Gimme Love” – Joji
- “Loud Places” – Jamie xx, Romy
- “Get Into It (Yuh)” – Doja Cat
- “For Tonight” – Giveon
Spotify also revealed to Digital Music News how much the Coachella lineup announcement impacts music streaming rates for artists.
Coachella announced its lineup for the 2022 festival on January 12. Several artists featured in the lineup saw their music streaming numbers spike on the platform following that announcement. Some artists saw their numbers up by more than 300%.
- “Trago seu Amor de Volta (ft. Dilsinho)” by Pabllo Vittar increased by more than 350%
- “ave cesaria” by Stromae increased more than 320%
- “Drive” by Carly Rae Jepson increased by 300%
- “Tous les mêmes” by Stomae increased by nearly 200%
- “Controller” by Channel Tres increased by more than 150%
- “Fendi Drip” by Lil Baby, Luciano, Ufo361 increased by more than 150%
- “Moth to a Flame” by Swedish House Mafia, The Weeknd increased by more than 130%
- “Silver and Gold” by Pink Sweat$, Sam Fischer, Yung Bae increased by nearly 120%
- “Ocean Drive” by Duke Dumont, Michael Calfan increased by more than 100%
- “The Kids Are All Dying” by FINNEAS increased by more than 100%
Spotify says new artist discovery is also hugely boosted following the announcement of the Coachella lineup. Spotify looked at the increase in artist discovery from January 11 before the announcement and January 13, the day after. New discovery is defined as playing the track for the first time on Spotify.
- Giselle Woo & the Night Owls saw a 36,000% increase in new discoveries
- DJ Lord saw more than 2,500% increase in new discoveries
- DJ Holographic saw a 500% increase in new discoveries
- Orville Peck saw a 500% increase in streams
- Stromae saw a 300% increase in music streams
- AMÉMÉ saw a 280% increase in music streams
- Dear Humans saw a 240% increase in music streams
As you can see, being featured in the Coachella lineup has a huge impact on an artists streams after the lineup announcement. New artist discovery continues from the time of announcement until the festival kicks-off in April.