Apple Music on Android has become more platform agnostic with new Chromecast support.
Apple has been testing the feature in the beta version of the Apple Music app. But now Chromecast support and a true black dark mode are now available in the latest stable update. The dark mode respects the Android 10 system toggle for dark mode.
The familiar Chromecast button now appears in the upper right corner of the app.
You still can’t set Apple Music as the default music provider on Google Home. But it does mean you can cast the music to the speaker manually. Enabling Apple Music as a default option requires some work on Google’s end. Right now, only Spotify, Pandora, and Deezer are the only non-Google music services supported.
How To Use Apple Music With Chromecast
You can stream songs playing in Apple Music to any Chromecast device.
- Make sure the phone and Chromecast device are on the same network.
- Open the Apple Music app and start playing any song.
- Tap the song that’s playing at the bottom of the screen for the Now Playing screen.
- Tap the Cast button and then select your Chromecast device.
- Alternatively, you can tap the cast button at the top of the app before you start playing music.
Apple supporting Chromecast is a huge move in the world of Android music services. Google Play Music is certain to die a quick death once Google decides to favor YouTube Music. Spotify has been the only real competitor for Android users with Chromecast devices.
Spotify called the practice anti-competitive and waged a massive social media campaign. Since then, Apple has opened Siri functions to other companies.